Gmail, also known as Google Mail, is a web-based email service provider, which allows you to receive email from anyone all over the world. The received emails are stored on the internet (on the company’s servers), which you can then access from anywhere in the world by using an internet connected computer or mobile device. Gmail has increased in popularity over the past couple of years, and more and more people have been ditching other email service providers for Gmail. Creating an account with Gmail is very easy and fast, and it will also allow you to access other Google related services such as YouTube, Google Plus and Google Drive. Below is a guide on how you can open gmail account.
To open Gmail account:
1) Go to www.gmail.com on your computer browser.
2) Click on the “create an account” tab located below the sign in fields. This will redirect you to the “Create Your Google Account” page with a registration form that has various fields you should complete in order to open gmail account.
3) In the form, enter your first and last names in the spaces provided.
4) In the “Choose your username” section, enter a unique username, which will be used as the prefix for your email address. Once you enter the username, its availability will be checked, and you will prompted to enter another one if it is already in use.
5) Create a password for your gmail account. The password should be easy to remember, but very hard for anyone else to guess. Therefore, you should avoid using personal details such as your birthday, name, or the name of a loved one as a password. For increased account security, make sure your password is made up of letters (both upper and lower case), numbers and characters.
6) Fill in the rest of the information, which includes your birthday (required to verify your age), gender, mobile phone number (important for account recovery in case you forget your password), and the current email address you are using (optional).
7) Complete the CAPTCHA to verify that you are indeed a real human being. Sometimes, the captcha challenge may be hard to read. In such a situation, you can refresh the challenge or opt for an audio one instead.
9) Click on the “Next Step” tab below the registration form to proceed to open Gmail account.
After you have created your Gmail account, there are few things you need to do before you start using it. These include creating your Gmail profile, customizing your Gmail account and importing your contacts.
Creating Gmail profile
After opening your Gmail account, you will be immediately taken to the profile creation page. The profile will be visible to your Gmail contacts and other users on the Google Plus (Google’s social network platform).
Customizing your Gmail account
Once you have completed creating your profile, you can then proceed to customize your Gmail inbox page. Simply click on the settings section located on the top right corner of your inbox page to change the view, customize your inbox and select a theme for your account.
Having a gmail account allows you to receive emails from family, friends, colleagues, and professional networks from all over the world. You can also gain access to other services such as YouTube, Google Plus, Google Maps, Google Play Store and others using your gmail account. If you need to open gmail account, simply follow the above guide.